Monday, May 5, 2008

Happy Cinco de Mayo

I will admit that I'm not usually one to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. I'm more a St. Patrick's Day kind of girl. But I do enjoy me some margaritas. So I suggested to hubby that we stop by this little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant for dinner. Now, while this little restaurant is truly a hole in the wall, it is one of only two restaurants in "downtown" San Antonio, Florida. The other is the deli next door. It is definitely a small town and usually gets mistaken as part of nearby Dade City. Most of the residents are actually migrant workers from the nearby farms and ranches. No wonder they have such a great food.

So we get to San Antonio. The first thing I noticed was a band setting up in the street and a lot of cars in the parking lot. Turns out Pancho's (the restaurant) was hosting a Cinco de Mayo street party. Among the festivities was a pinata and face painting for the kids. By the time we got out of dinner they had the street blocked off, the kids were on their second pinata, and folks were setting up lawn chairs in the street to watch the band. It was just a great atmosphere. I really enjoyed it. I love small towns. Plus Pancho's makes a great margarita.

No comments: